Tuesday, August 24, 2004

"Answers straight from God"

Listening to WNWC this evening (local Christian radio), I heard one of their 'listen to us' ads.

"when trouble comes . . . sitcoms seem empty and lovesongs do nothing for you . . . and you're looking for answers . . . turn to the station with answers, answers straight from God."

Whew! In one sense the claim is true: they talk about Jesus, who is the Answer, and with whom all things work together for good for those who love and follow Him. But I notice that He didn't always answer questions. "What is that to you? Follow me!"

So in another sense the station is taking the role of Job's friends, who claimed to have the answers for why Job suffered. And we remember what God said about them!

I doubt they intended their grand claim. While I've known a fair number of brash know-it-alls, and heard even more on the radio, the local crew seemed a little more humble than they.

I'd better let them know their ad is more dramatic than it ought to be . . .

No comments: