Saturday, September 11, 2004

Today

This morning we got up a bit late, and my eldest son was playing Rudder’s Requiem. He asked me if I remembered what today was. I answered, “This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.” He of course went on to say “Yes, but.” I knew perfectly well what anniversary today was, and I was pulling his leg—and reminding us both who was really in charge.

The trick is to remember that the day is God’s even on 11-Sep-2001. It is pretty easy on 11-Sep-2004. In the middle of a disaster I find myself getting distracted.

No, I’m not saying I should be glad for the abominable men who cast off all humanity to crash into buildings or shoot school children in the back or blow themselves up in pizza parlors, or who cheer on these villains. They’ve sold their souls for vengeance; they are outlaw; and I’ll do whatever is in my poor power to defeat them.

But I know that despite the hurricanes and the more horrible human evils God is still there. And somehow He is going to make something good no matter how demonic our actions. Somehow. Somehow. He’s done it before.

My son says Rutter's Requiem

No comments: