Saturday, February 28, 2009

Vetting Prayers

So Obama is now approving opening prayers before they are made. I can see why, given his years under Wright, he'd want to make sure there weren't any unfortunate explosions of bile; and given his embrace of abortion I can understand that he'd not want any prophetic complaints that might contradict him.

I have to wonder if his staff give an implicit suggestion to leave out Jesus, or if the pastor mentioned was just imagining things. I like to hope that if they explicitly requested non-Christian prayers the pastors would balk, and loudly--but you could find a few who already come pretty close to Zelazny's prayer.

Everything has to be controlled; everything has to be "on message" without distractions, even other men's petitions to God. I wonder if he's figured out a way to vet God's replies?

No comments: