Sunday, January 29, 2012

Exotic foods

We've a date night rule: don't eat what we already make at home.

So we tend to eat at at "ethnic" restaurants, and since we don't dine out often we don't get jaded.

But what do you do if last month you tried every variety of Indian regional cuisine and you're looking for something different? Molecular food? What a terribly silly name...

How about "ketchup caviar," where you make little balls of ketchup? It may not be worth the effort, opinions seem to vary (I think the wordpress site is run by an employee), but it certainly qualifies as "different." Although if I were making little condiment beads I think I'd want something just a little zingier for a base than ketchup. Maybe a drop or two of tabasco sauce?

In the exotic foods competition our turduckens are distant echos of the Roman versions, but I think we take the wreath in the liquid nitrogen division.

2 comments:

Sandra said...

See, the Molecular food stuff is interesting, but if I want Strawberries, I don't want this: http://www.homebrewchef.com/StrawberriesandCreamDeconstructed.html

I will get some strawberries and eat them. I can promise they will be cheaper. Stick to Husnus.

james said...

And they're barking up the wrong tree, too.

"With the traditional dish, you taste strawberries then the cream."

I taste both at the same time.