Thursday, March 22, 2012

Snuff by Terry Pratchett

Pratchett wrote this book about Vimes going on vacation at his country manor. Naturally he doesn't want to be there, and naturally there is no vacation (or there'd be no book).

I'm afraid I like books about the Unreal Unseen Academy better, and I'm also afraid that this one is looser than it ought to have been. I suppose a deus ex machina is nothing surprising in Diskworld--but some points seem contrived, the colonel's behavior isn't in character (either before or after the story begins--pick one), and the "All God's Creatures Together" theme is getting a little tired. Too many things are telegraphed ahead of time.

But, I like what he does with Nobby, the Vimes and the young noble maidens scene works well, and his wit is often in evidence. If you like Diskworld, you'll enjoy this book--but I wish he'd run it by a few people before giving it to the publisher.

No comments: