Sunday, June 03, 2012

Soda jerks

I'm curious what audience Bloomberg is playing to with his proposed ban on big soda drinks. Grant that obesity is a growing problem. Are the rest of the city's problems so intractable that there is nothing better to do than try to tweak people's diets? That's scary.

In any event, restaurants and gas stations will simply install little refrigerators stocked with 2-liter soda bottles, just like the supermarkets sell. Just for convenience, of course: maybe with quarts of milk and juice alongside for verisimilitude. And give out a free foot-long fun-straw with each purchase.

FWIW, while there've been a few hot afternoons helping somebody move when I went through about a half gallon of soda, I rarely drink more than a quart in three months. A big-gulp seems grotesque.

1 comment:

Texan99 said...

I've never been a soda drinker. I used to like drinking either grapefruit juice or buttermilk when I was on the road, but convenience stores rarely carry either one any more. I guess the point is that they carry whatever people want to buy, which is most cases is carbonated sugar water. It's beyond me how controlling the problem from the seller's side makes sense. I wonder why it isn't as clear to everyone else as it is to me, that there's only one possible approach, and that is to let the person who drinks too much soda be the person that bears the consequences? It's hard luck on the person with the screwed-up metabolism, as I know only too well, but how is it better if we visit the hard luck on someone else instead?