Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Brothers raising each others' children

I'm trying to remember where I read about this. There was a Nigerian folk story, and I recall reading about it somewhere else.

The idea is that after a few years the child is sent to be raised by his uncle and aunt(s), and the uncle reciprocates.

It isn't quite the same thing as sending the kids to be raised by the rich uncle--that's not so uncommon; I know at least one such.

I understand that the noble Brits of the Middle Ages used to send their kids to be sort-of servants to the higher and mightier so they'd learn manners and how to be good companions/side-kicks. That's not quite the same thing either.

Does anybody remember anything like this?

4 comments:

Donna B. said...

I remember hearing about a variation of this concerning early American settlers, possibly Puritans, possibly from Perry Miller's "New England Mind" books. The idea was that uncles/aunts would better discipline and train the youngsters because there was not as much "love" present that could cause parents to be too lenient, but enough to insure an interest in the outcome and to prevent cruelty and abuse.

Not saying you should trust my memory, as I certainly don't. It's also possible I picked that up from "Albion's Seed" which I've loaned out and can't check right now.

james said...

Thanks for the pointers. I'll check that too.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

I think Albion's Seed focused more on masters of apprentices, not uncles, being more willing to instill the right discipline.

Or maybe you were just remembering me complaining about my life...

Sandra said...

It is something frequently practiced in the lower Senegambia region to increase family ties.