Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Story of a Soul by Thérèse of Lisieux

I've heard of this off and on for a long time, and figured Advent would be a good time to tackle it.

Her style is far more effusive than is fashionable, which may make reading her a little harder than it should be.

I don't care much for invoking Mary or relying on departed saints to keep tabs on us. I remain to be persuaded that being a nun is more holy than being an aunt. I'm dubious of the notion of hoping for suffering. There should be suffering aplenty without hoping for it. True, it is one aspect of our relationship with Christ, but IIRC Jesus asked "Take this cup from me."

But her "Little Way" is first and foremost a way of faith, and I kept being reminded of Luther. We are all little, though our tasks may be large.

From time to time I thought she was overstating her suffering, but that's forgivable.

God calls us in different ways, but this little "doctor of the church" is worth reading. Just don't expect showers of roses.

2 comments:

Assistant Village Idiot said...

Ian Osborne's book on OCD asserts that Therese had the condition, and her Little Way is a breakthrough in dealing with that disorder that had implications for Catholic teaching and experience in the 20th C.

james said...

It is true that the book was written later in her life, when perhaps any breakthroughs would have eased her and changed the lens she viewed her past through. Still, I didn't get a sense of general OCD from her bio, nor from the description of her by others. Maybe OCD in a few areas? I've no background in mental health (except what I've had to pick up along the way), so I can't guess very far either way.

But I'll guess anyway, that the Little Way is what it seemed to be: a rejection of the culture that great works merit heaven and honor.