Saturday, October 05, 2013

Chicago

The musical is coming to Madison, and the ads are all about. I gather it is about murderesses awaiting trial. The ladies in the ads are far more fetching than the ones whose pictures actually turn up on in the crime section.

I presume there's some selection bias at work in the newspaper photography: the rich and powerful can wiggle out (h.t. Steve Sailer), but there aren't that many of them. And maybe brighter folks can figure some way to dispose of the awkward corpse clandestinely, though I haven't come up with any reliably untraceable methods myself. (Detective stories, looked at closely, aren't always very realistic.) But neither category should contribute much to the numbers, which leads to the banal observation the bulk of the criminals look neither very bright nor very attractive.

Maybe police photography uses the same equipment as the DMV, which generally portrays me as a felonious stranger.

1 comment:

Texan99 said...

It would be hard to sell movies if the actors were as unprepossessing as most of us in real life! The "homely" character in a movie is usually considerably more attractive than almost anyone I know.