Saturday, January 27, 2018

Forgetting books

Why We Forget Most of the Books We Read
Surely some people can read a book or watch a movie once and retain the plot perfectly. But for many, the experience of consuming culture is like filling up a bathtub, soaking in it, and then watching the water run down the drain. It might leave a film in the tub, but the rest is gone.

and

"Reading is a nuanced word," she writes, "but the most common kind of reading is likely reading as consumption: where we read, especially on the internet, merely to acquire information. Information that stands no chance of becoming knowledge unless it 'sticks.'"

I've had the experience of reading a book, understanding the details and the mechanisms and the argument, and then after a while had it drift out of mind. (I looked up an old blog post. It was next to a review of a book that I barely remember.) Nevertheless, for me the book doesn't go entirely away. The residuum, in my mind at least, is the connections. I don't remember names very well, but I remember principles and mechanisms. Why did the Spanish Armada fail? I don't recall the details, but do recall some of the reasons.

That can be dangerous if the books are misleading. If all you have left is the impressions, and whatever backed them up is gone, you have unsupported confidence, with no pesky details to be contradicted. You are persuaded that the CIA killed JFK, but you can't think of a single reason why--you just know that they did.

So how do you make it stick? One approach is to read (or watch) slower--not binge-watching. Implicit in one of their descriptions is that you take the time to make notes and ask questions about or of the work.

BTW, it takes many years for me to forget enough to re-read most mystery novels--unless there's some additional attraction in the story that keeps me going even when I know the outcome.

No comments: