Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Executive horn

When the ruler arrives, the band announces his entrance. Here we use "Hail to the Chief" performed by the Marine Band. Someplaces it is the national anthem, sometimes something else.

In Liberia, it was The Executive Horn. Gabriel Nyanti Wilson, who died this past week in an executive motorcade accident, had performed the office behind Tubman(!) and all of the leaders since then.

“This horn has message, there is a way when I blow it, people from Maryland will know the mood of the occasion. If the president is speaking during a joyous occasion, my kinsmen will understand and when someone dies and I blow it, they will also understand it is a sorrowful period,” he told FrontPageAfrica.

He said none of his three sons were interested in taking after him, calling his craft ‘old fashioned’.

“They said it’s old fashioned yet, it is the old-fashioned job sending them to school and feeding them. Since my children do not want to learn the art, I am presently training a boy from my home to take after me,” he added.

I was never at a state function, so I never heard him. Wish I had.

1 comment:

Sam L. said...

It's not on You Tube?????