Friday, June 19, 2020

Progressives

"Politicians have to be progressive; that is, they have to live in the future, because they know that they have done nothing but evil in the past."
He also wrote: "Long ago, before the Balkan Wars or the Russo-Japanese War, I remember writing in this general sense: that there were two forces in the world threatening its peace, because of their history, their philosophy and their externality to the ethics of Christendom; and they were Prussia and Japan. I remember horrifying all my Liberal friends, when I wrote for the Daily News in the days of my youth, by saying this about Japan. I did not, however, modify my view then. I am certainly not likely to modify it now."

2 comments:

Sam L. said...

The word "Progressive" always brings to my mind the word "cancer".

Korora said...

Progressive ideas happen to be in fashion, so progressive is currently an easier direction for madness in the culture to take. It could be a corrective in a different Zeitgeist (and when we as humans do go in for important reforms, we often overcorrect--or worse, simultaneously overcorrect in some aspects AND undercorrect in others).