Sunday, August 18, 2024

Windows experience

One of our machines is a Windows 10 machine, with a SSD system disk and a hard drive for everything else. After each reboot, it would quickly start slowing down. The task manager said the D: hard drive was getting 100% use, and click/click/click was heard in the land. I tried a bunch of recommended cures (balked at registry edits). The one that worked was chkdsk.exe D: /f /r , though it took a couple of hours.

So some kinds of disk problems can cause infinite loops? Interesting. (I'm using Ubuntu at the moment.)

5 comments:

Thomas Doubting said...

I'm guessing you know that hard drives need that last 10% for swap. Did you want the D drive at 100%? Or am I misunderstanding the problem?

james said...

I was unclear. Access to the disk was clogged at 100%. The disk itself was only about 60% full, but repeated attempts to read/write the disk filled the communication bus, presumably also blocking access the swap on the SSD and causing the slowdown.

Thomas Doubting said...

Ah, I see. Is that a common Windows problem? I'm happily using Debian, Ubuntu, & other forms of Linux.

james said...

From the fact that there were possible fixes proposed I gather it isn't entirely uncommon, and from the fact that the fix that worked was not at the top of the list I gather this isn't the most common problem either.
Linux has its own sets of issue, unfortunately. Under the Ubuntu version I initially installed, the system would get stuck during the boot if the USB hub was plugged in. Luckily Linux tells you what it is trying to do as it boots, so diagnosis was easy.

Thomas Doubting said...

Interesting. Thanks for the warning about the USB hub!