Sunday, August 16, 2009

16-August

Today was his birthday.

The little details bring him to mind.

A passage from Cappricio Italien brings back afternoons in Los Angeles with him listening to the radio. Sitting down with the family ledger reminds me of his sitting down to the adding machine and a ledger, with a pile of tissues of mission receipts; doing what seemed too picky and alien to me then.

The news reminds me of his prescient warning 30 years ago that the US was going to have to think carefully about Islam and democracy.

And I paid little attention to his offhand remark that he (Southern Baptist) preferred somewhat more formal and “high church” services. I didn't think deeply about such things, until the disintegration of the church I was a member of brought the question of the purpose of the local church firmly to mind. I think he was right.

I wish he were still with us, but I thank God for the time he was here.

No comments: