Thursday, May 17, 2012

Counterexamples?

A mathematical model says 9% of mammals in the Western hemisphere won't outrun climate change. I can't find the original article--I don't think it has been released yet. They especially worry about monkeys. There've been a few substantial cold snaps in the not-too-distant past, and some of the transitions are supposed to have only been a thousand years or less. The missing bit here is "how long are these researchers assuming the changes will take?" 100 years? 1000? If 1000 years, I wouldn't believe them--the fact that the animals are there at all says they can weather changes like that.

2 comments:

Assistant Village Idiot said...

"...assuming..." does seem to be the operative word. I can't find their assumptions.

Texan99 said...

"Assuming that if I tie whatever my research is into some kind of hypothesis about the effect of global warming, I can get a bunch of funding" would about sum it up.