Monday, May 14, 2012

In the dirt at last

The tomato and pepper seedlings have been popping in and out of the house for the last month. "What's the forecast? Bring them in." But the time has finally come to give them a home, and the garden has some new denizens: "One for the cutworm, and one for the crow, one for the taxman, and one to grow." Or something like that.

The calendulas returned so prolifically that there were enough to edge a whole other section of the garden. I'm not sure what calendulas are, but I think I got the right patch.

The maple roots are strangling one garden so we're moving tulips out before turning it and adding some decent dirt again. I hope tulips don't need a lot of depth--I landed some above a buried stump. (The other buried stump is easily spotted by the luxuriant crop of mushrooms.)

My better half says that children should learn to garden: "There's no better way to make the connection between hard work and eating."

2 comments:

Assistant Village Idiot said...

Gardening to learn that lesson. It is a plausible theory, but does it actually hold up empirically? My Romanian sons - who did a lot of peasant work even as small children - would say no. But. they are both hard workers.

Texan99 said...

It sure brings the lesson home to me. Another thing that got my attention was trying to make cheese and seeing how much milk it takes to produce a tiny lump of cheese. I'd never realized how concentrated a food cheese is.