Friday, September 21, 2012

Senate update

Earlier I noticed that Senegal was thinking of getting rid of its Senate. Sall got his way. One detail I'd missed before was that the lower house is more heavily allied with his party, and the Senate more with opposition parties. Another is that half of the Senators are appointed. They also got rid of the office of Vice President, though that won't save any money since there hasn't been one yet. I'll try to keep posted. (Prediction 1: there will be smoke and mirrors about how much money is actually spent on flood control.)

FWIW, I tried to find out if Senegal was on the list of countries where France closed its embassy. Along the fruitless way I noticed that the logo for France Diplomatie reminds me a little of that for Major League Baseball.

1 comment:

Assistant Village Idiot said...

I have a friend who was a missionary in Senegal for over a decade. I'll ask him what he knows.