Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Toxoplasmosis again

I'd asked before how toxoplasma could change hormone levels from within a cyst. There's a new report in the European Journal of Personality that says yep, they do.
We found that Toxoplasma-infected male and female students had significantly higher extraversion and lower conscientiousness. The conscientiousness negatively correlated with the length of infection in men, which suggested that the toxoplasmosis associated differences were more probably the result of slow cumulative changes induced by latent toxoplasmosis, rather than transient side effect of acute Toxoplasma infection. The existence of this correlation also supported (but of course not proved) the hypothesis that Toxoplasma infection influenced the personality, rather than the hypothesis that the personality influenced the probability of the infection.

...

The final sample consisted of 181 Toxoplasma-negative and
30 Toxoplasma-positive female students and 95 Toxoplasma-
negative and 17 Toxoplasma-positive male students.

...

The important difference between the present NEO-PI-R personality profile and 16PF personality profiles of infected subjects was that the toxoplasmosis-associated differences relative to Toxoplasma-free subjects in Cattell's personality factors were mostly in opposite directions for men and women, whereas the differences in NEO-PI-R factors were generally in the same direction for both genders.

I must say I'm not excited about their Table 1. Yep, there are differences, but the standard deviations are pretty large.

But I had a look at some pictures and maybe the cysts aren't quite as impermeable as I'd have guessed. So they may be onto something, though unless I miss my guess this study doesn't show it. There just aren't enough statistics to look at the tails properly.

2 comments:

Assistant Village Idiot said...

I have said for years that life is more genteel without animals. In particular, cats are evil, and this is part of it. In my field you can get all the cat-lady social workers really worked up suggesting that cat-exposure increases the risk of schizophrenia.

They ruin our personalities.

Texan99 said...

I could be said to have a relatively cat-poop-filled life, combined with an unusually weak commitment to hygiene. If this is what I'm like when I'm artificially extroverted, that's a daunting thought.