Saturday, December 10, 2016

Christmas Music 24x7

A local station goes to 24x7 Christmas music after Thanksgiving. I generally don't listen to it in December, unless I need traffic reports or something like that. I snaffled this afternoon's playlist, representing from 11:30 to 6, and counted up the contents. Some songs had different singers, or even instrumental versions--I counted them all the same. (The same singer/song combo appeared several times, e.g. "Holly Jolly Christmas" with Ives.)

Since this is an ancient Christian celebration, I thought I'd see if the songs were explicitly Christian, as opposed to referencing the trappings (bells, etc), but I refrain from further comment. Except: "Do They Know It's Christmas" isn't explicitly Christian but it seems to fit the season. I've never heard it.

CountTitleReligious?
4A Holly Jolly Christmas
4All I Want For Christmas Is You
1Ave Mariareligious
1Baby It's Cold Outside
1Believe
2Blue Christmas
2Carol of the Bells
1Caroling, Caroling
2Celebrate Me Home
1Chipmunk Christmas
2Christmas Canon (instrumental)
2Christmas Eve in Sarajevo
2Christmas Time Is Here
2Do They Know it's Christmas*
2Do You Hear What I Hear?religious
1Dominick the Donkey
2Feliz Navidad
4Frosty the Snowman
2Happy Christmas
1Happy Holidays
1Hard Candy Christmas
4Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
3Here Comes Santa Claus
1Hey Santa!
1I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus
1I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas
1I'll Be Home for Christmas
3It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas
2It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year
2Jingle Bell Rock
1Jingle Bells
2Let It Snow
1Linus and Lucy
2Mele Kalikima
1O' Holy Nightreligious
1O' Tannenbaum- O' Christmas Treereligious
5Please Come Home for Christmas
1Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree
2Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
1Santa Claus Is Coming to Town
1Silent Nightreligious
4Sleigh Ride
1The Christmas Shoes
1The Christmas Song (Merry Christmas To You)
1The First Noelreligious
3The Little Drummer Boyreligious
1There's No Place Like Home for the Holidays
1Underneath the Tree
1Up On the Housetop
1Where Are You Christmas
4White Christmas
2Winter Wonderland
2Wonderful Christmastime

1 comment:

Assistant Village Idiot said...

The family/nostalgia aspect has become stronger than the religious.

I've about had it with the many secular "True Meaning of Christmas" declarations. That actually is cultural appropriation, isn't it?