Friday, October 20, 2017

Gentlemen, this is a football

The first time I heard that this was how Lombardi introduced training sessions, I thought it was pretty insulting and useless. Were football players really that dense?

I just read another state of the university "press release" to the staff. I learned about our priorities.

WWVLD?

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is a University.

Over there are the students.

Over here are curricula representing bodies of knowledge the students need to learn.

In between them we have teachers.

Our job is to ...

2 comments:

Assistant Village Idiot said...

It's from Jerry Kramer's book, IIRC. If it improves the context any, it was not a general comment of Lombardi's but one he started with on a Monday after a particularly bad Sunday.

james said...

That matches something I heard years ago. More recent references make it out to have been the standard intro. Such is Google king of Search Engines to all who trust in him...