Sunday, February 06, 2011

Go Pack

I don't complain about the overwhelming attention to sports. I've said before that there are already too few things in this country that different generations do together; we can't afford to lose more. I strongly object to the Super Bowel of trivia emptying itself over the front pages and radios (I don't know about TV--ours doesn't work).

I know that even the commercials are a big deal, as this is a mucho eyeballs event and the start of many ad campaigns; but do I really want to deliberate on which ones are rejected?

The Wisconsin State Journal ran a little story about the half-time entertainment, saying that there was now a chance for a "wardrobe malfunction(*)" this year since the group was pretty girls instead of creaky rockers. 2 column inches and a picture of a woman I didn't recognize. Let me channel my outer curmudgeon and claim that a LOLcats picture would have been just as newsworthy and of more enduring interest.

Most of the kids are going to Super Bowl parties--maybe we can find one for Youngest Son too, and we two can relax. And hope the Packers win.

Pregame update For the honor of truth I must admit that I'm the caliber of Packers fan who thought Aaron Rodgers had something to do with the Southern Baptist Convention.


(*) There was no "malfunction"--the only thing unplanned in the stylized assault was the audience response.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

Well then, good to see that my painkiller induced addledness have led to some alone time for you guys. Hope the kid can drive well on snow.