Wednesday, February 09, 2011

The Resurrection of the Son of God

by N.T.Wright

I couldn't finish this one. It is quite long and my free time was short and somebody else had it on reserve.

The part I finished (about halfway) is a thorough analysis of what Gentiles and Jews understood by resurrection in various eras before Jesus. The bottom line is that they did not use the word or concepts in anything like the senses the early Christians did.

I was not aware that academics had tried so hard and in so many different ways to try to prove that Jesus' resurrection was fictional, or understood as purely spiritual, or was a Platonic liberation from the evil body--an amazing number of subtle arguments to try to dodge around a plain story.

He was getting up into more interesting sections when I had to return the book.

I thought it was interesting, and was hoping to read more--but I may have a greater tolerance for academic details than most.

No comments: