Sunday, July 21, 2013

Ring tones

Ring tones are a wonderful invention. I use Morning (Peer Gynt) for calls from my better half, a bit of Carmen for my opera-fan Youngest Daughter, and so on. I need something appropriately ominous for calls from work. I wish it were possible to lump telemarketers together and assign 4'33".

I also wish it were straightforward to let some numbers assign a priority. When I'm driving it isn't easy to answer the phone (I tried a bluetooth headset but the battery didn't last long). Do I pull over to answer this, or can it wait? Suppose you had a system in which you dial the number and then #*#, and now the caller ID includes a "priority call" flag. If I opted in, so that my phone will accept priority calls from your number, now "The Hall of the Mountain King" is punctuated with whoops when you send a priority call.

2 comments:

Texan99 said...

"1. tacet
2. tacet
3. tacet"

I used a Blackberry for years after everyone else moved onto an iPhone or iPhone clone. I never figured out how to make the ringtones work. Now I have a brand-new iPhone, so I'll have to educate myself.

james said...

I wasn't keen on spending unpteen dollars for tones, so I took clips from CD's we have and processed them into ring tones at one web site and side-loaded them onto the phone using the USB connection. Then when I wanted to connect a tone with a number and started stepping through the menu, I was able to pick my addition from the list of files.