Thursday, September 04, 2014

Slowing down

My sister asked me to transfer to DVD a video her late husband made 29 years ago, of my eldest two children when we were visiting them in Louisville. (He was preparing a tape for my parents who were in Africa.)

There's no drama: the most exciting part is wondering if Eldest Daughter will hit anybody with the miniature baseball bat. There were many details I'd completely forgotten over the years: the ducks, the swan, the peacocks, the pillars, even the shirt I was wearing.

Ripping it last night was half an hour of watching them do the simple things: exploring and enjoying. My Better Half watched it this evening; just quiet fun remembering.

A narrative line is important, and dramatic tension too, but sometimes you can do without both.

No comments: