Thursday, April 26, 2018

Giving up on satire

When I studied at U of I at Chicago Circle the campus was alive with student radicals. The editors of the student newspaper printed a series of letters I wrote designed as satires of the radicals' frantic screeds. I was ridiculously proud to overhear someone tentatively speculating that maybe one of the letters might not be real. (Ho Lee, Chairman of the Re-Education Committee--I don't know if anybody got the pun) I excoriated Sri Lankan watermelons and called for a demonstration against oppressively produced cotton, with divestiture of the same.

I kept and lost copies, which is probably no great loss: reality catches up with satire. I wrote a little satirical piece a couple of years ago explaining how I identified as a gazelle and needed trans-species surgery. I gather that at google you now can identify as a dragon without being mocked.

What do you do when people not only have no shame, they have no sense of the ridiculous?

1 comment:

Sam L. said...

Keep on mocking them, for those who recognize and appreciate mockery.