Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Syria

Given that the Syrian war is mostly unfriendlies fighting each other, why would we get involved?

I would have easily believed that the strike was a result of "policy momentum,(*)" with nobody thinking carefully about strategic interests. We've seen that show before. I could believe that we browbeat the British into joining the team. But the French? What made them join up?

After a bit of reflection, I think I get it. Poison gas and bio-weapons are the poor man's nukes. Somebody was getting a bit too liberal with their use, and several countries thought that should be discouraged. That both we and the French have a strategic interest in.

And I gather that we telegraphed the heck out of the attack, and didn't blow up all that much. Shot over the bow.


(*) We found and supported some "moderates" who turned out to be anything but, and it seemed that our moral support for one side continued out of habit.

No comments: