Thursday, September 05, 2024

over-wise

Grim cites the Havamal on one of AVI's posts:
54

It is best for man to be middle-wise,
Not over cunning and clever:
The learned man whose lore is deep
Is seldom happy at heart.

The usual way I've heard this described is that it's no joy to know the terrible things that you can't dodge, and also that knowing too many options causes paralysis by analysis, which is often worse than merely being wrong.

It reminds me of Ecclesiastes: "Do not be excessively righteous and do not be overly wise. Why should you ruin yourself?"

The first half of that verse is widely argued, of course. The second half in turn reminds me of Luke 12:47-48. "From everyone who has been given much, much will be required."

and also: "Let not many of you become teachers, my brethren, knowing that as such we will incur a stricter judgment."

I'm already not wonderful at doing what I know I ought. What would it be like if instead of fuzzy generalities and "close enough" I knew with exquisite precision what I should be doing, and still didn't obey?

In any event, I suspect I'd be found innocent if charged with excessive wisdom.

1 comment:

Grim said...

Indeed, it was a discussion of Ecclesiastes that provoked the remark.

Many have remarked on the similarity of some of the Odinnic experiences and expressions with Biblical ones; but the Elder Edda, from which the Havamal is drawn, wasn't written down until centuries after the conversion. Nobody's quite sure when, but the version we have is from the 13th century; the work itself may be 12th century.

Some overlap is thus to be expected. Teasing out what pre-Christian elements are present is difficult: does this concern with 'over-wisdom' represent a human universal that is obvious to reflective people from different cultures, or an import?

I always thought the Havamal version was good advice, almost Stoic: don't try to master everything, don't try to think through everything, accept that much is out of your mastery, and sleep in peace.