Saturday, March 29, 2003

I've held for years that every woman is beautiful if you look at her the way she was meant to be looked at. I don't mean in terms of clothing or lighting, but looking at the way she acts and moves and rests. Don't bring preconceptions about Barbie or Reubenesque ladies, but look at this particular woman and her individual grace.

I haven't always succeeded in seeing the beauty in every woman. Some have been too marred for me to see clearly, many I've not had the time to study, and some have had spirits so warped and ugly that no physical beauty could compensate for the pain of being around them. Still, most of the time I can see a woman, and, letting her be herself, see her as beautiful.

Curiously enough, this has nothing to do with lust--the beauty is not in relation to me, but only in relation to her.

Yes, I do have a standard of beauty, and it has been changing as my wife has changed over the years. Every parent knows their baby is the most beautiful baby in the world--why shouldn't every husband know that his wife is the most beautiful woman in the world?

No comments: