Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Oh, are you, now?

\NPR ran a report this morning on the deterioration of medical conditions in the West Bank. The public hospitals run out of supplies, the doctors and nurses went on strike because they weren't paid, medicines have to be purchased privately, if available, and so on. NPR story The first interviewee said "I'm a Palestinian citizen. I'm supposed to have these services provided to me." He went on to blame respectively the EU, Israel, and the US--a unique ordering.

I must have missed the place in the contract that says that the rest of the world is obligated to fund his medical care. Whether I feel obligated to help out or not is irrelevant--he does not have the right to demand money from me. The people he wants to rule him prefer to use money to shoot each other and are quite open about hating me and my country. This isn't calculated to encourage generosity, and as it turns out I'm not obligated to pay the jizya.

You want free health care? Take it up with the folks you voted for.

No comments: