Sunday, March 30, 2008

Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller

Sorry, I got very tired of Cone and decided to finish reading this instead

This is subtitled Nonreligious thoughts on Christian spirituality, and that's pretty much what it is. It rambles back and forth through his life, telling what he found or was shown, and he's willing to explain his imperfections. Sometimes it is poignant, and sometimes ...

I've been to a play. It was Romeo and Juliet, and I took a date. It was my first date ever. Even though I never wanted to act myself, taking a girl to a play was a good move.

...

Even though it is good move to take a girl to a play, I screwed it up.

...

Later in the play they accidentally kill themselves. It is not very believable, but that is what happened.

...

When we were walking out my date clasped my hand, and even though I wasn't feeling very mushy I smiled at her. We ascended the aisle and made our way through the crowded lobby onto the steps of the playhouse. There were girls everywhere, all of the misty-eyed. Two girls in front of us were talking to each other. One of them threw her arms in the air and cried out, "I wish I could know love like Romeo and Juliet!"

I couldn't take it anymore. I whispered under my breath "They're dead."

I didn't think anybody heard me, but my date did.

Read it.

No comments: