Friday, April 25, 2008

Psalm 55:13-14

A few years ago I switched to a different method of Bible reading, based on the lectionary reading approach. I do three readings; cycling separately through the Psalms, the rest of the Old Testament, and the New Testament. Even in the depths of Leviticus, there's something interesting to read.

Some of the Psalms stir memories.

One of the leaders in our previous church was also a "worship team" leader, and had a liking for songs based on the Psalms. At least every other week when he led we'd be singing from the Bible instead of the Newsboys.

He was also one of the elders. Over several years the church slid farther and farther into unaccountable "seeker-oriented" directions, thrashing plans about as though the elder board had ADD, dropping almost all education and trivializing the worship. The elder board roster rotated, but one constant through it all was this man; and I have to conclude that much of the blame for the church's disintegration was due to his policies and attitudes. I don't know what board meetings were like, but with the rest of us--he is a teacher, and I guess he tries to treat everybody like middle school students.

Of course I'd like to not think about the old problems anymore.

But when I read those Psalms, the music comes back to me, and the memories of worshiping God together. And the less happy memories too.

I'm not angry with him. I don't want to be, and since the first things I remember are times of worship together, it helps me to remember who comes first.

I guess I'm fortunate: some former members are still furious.

No comments: