Saturday, July 26, 2008

James Cone Black Theology and Black Power

I have earlier notes about Cone here and here. I promised to try to finish the book and report back.

Life is short. Some say (unscripturally) that all sins are equal in God's eyes. Be that as it may, not all evils are or can be equal in man's eyes, and I find hatred viler than greed. Perhaps Cone's other works are less marinated in hatred, but the interview I linked to suggests not. It is hard to read a book where every other page seems to affirm something you hold dear, except that the author means something entirely different. It would be less effort to try again to read the Koran, where the author(s) are honest in denying Christianity.

Instead of my own review, read this short essay on "the American Heresy" (afflicting both "liberal" and "conservative" denominations) and notice that Cone also expounds a materialist man-centered faith.

No comments: