Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Beautiful day

Of course I spent most of it indoors, but that's life at CERN. I use the hostel "office" heavily when not in meetings: the rooms have fast wifi and a power socket, while the speed in the cafeteria and building 40 atrium is slower (congested!) and with very few power sockets available. The window faces east. The sun shines on the screen in mid-morning, but in exchange I get a nice view of the eastern mountains.

The Wisconsin meeting had all 4 profs present, and almost everybody either there or remotely connected. I didn't bring my laptop, since I was going to have to leave after an hour and didn't need to worry about not wasting three hours. 15 people, 12 laptops, 9 power sockets. Some people use Euro-style adapters, which waste at least two spigots on the Swiss fanouts, and some have those silly Apple power bricks that can only plug on the far end of the fanout (or else it presses on the power switch!). Apple's vaunted design team was a complete failure this time.

I've learned quite a few unexpected things while here--some of which I might have picked up earlier if I attended more UW meetings. So the Missing Et trigger is problematic... Oops. I assume somebody is working on fixes for that--that's too important a handle on events to lose.

At about 6:30 I decided to take a break and a walk. The temperature dropped rapidly when the sun went behind the Juras, and I was tired (and dizzy?) when I got back, but the view from the back road was great--shadowy mountains all around, with only a break to the north; a bowl around the land. Once I got away from the Centre Sportif it was quiet, with only a few joggers and cyclists (and the occasional car). The main road is crowded and construction-congested, but it is peaceful elsewhere.

So now I'm sitting at the desk in my room reviewing compact spaces and listening to Ancient Faith Radio and wondering what went wrong with the fit calculation I ran this morning.

No comments: