Saturday, January 01, 2011

"Where your treasure is"

"there your heart will be also." It seems blindingly obvious now that he pointed it out.

We have other treasure than cash, most notably time. Some of us not overburdened with cash, or who are careful with money, spend time in (cheap) ways that exactly parallel how others spend money. Because I don't own a big screen TV and don't spend every weekend watching the big games, or because I don't drop benjamins at the theater or movies every other night doesn't mean that entertainment isn't a big part of my life. I read a lot, and a substantial portion of it can only be classed as entertainment. In other words, "me, me, me."

Some time I spend on necessities (like sleep and home maintenance), and some on work to earn the daily bread. About half a year ago I noticed that spending time on seemingly simple things like reading the comics or news blog sites engendered a sense of entitlement; so much that I'd get annoyed if interrupted. I backed off, and only read a handful of web sites (Internet Monk, Assistant Village Idiot, and a few others), and I think my attitudes have improved a little. Still, even the news sometimes seems to have a hold on me. Most of the time I can do nothing about the events of the day, and most of the time they have no effect on my life. (Obscure counterexamples include some stories about Liberia, Senegal, and Cote d'Ivoire.)

I can read about Sarkosy and the euro or...I have some writing to do.

What you use your time on shows where your heart is.

2 comments:

Assistant Village Idiot said...

I agree, but have to think that reading my site can't be improving your attitude any.

...unless you are considering me a cautionary tale.

james said...

Writes the man who just posted about the persistence of comedy... No, your site is one I can read and think about and learn from, and not get angry with the state of the world. Angry observations I can find anywhere, and it doesn't seem to help them or me much. Temperate is rarer.