Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Somebody here has a tin ear, and I don't think it's me

What hath Lego wrought? And with an exclusive Yoda-dressed-as-Santa figure! (adding a little more confusion to the Advent theme)

It could be worse. Remember the year Walgreens carried those foot-tall angel-in-bikini figures? Or the Japanese toy engineer who couldn't understand why he was asked to suppress his designs for a new Transformer model (Jesus on the cross turns into killer robot)?

Of course this is just toys, and not life or death--but the song they sing is of a sad disconnect from what people cared, and still care, about.

4 comments:

Assistant Village Idiot said...

I'm dying to know what the advent calendar in that box has on it.

james said...

You could try to guess out a mapping based on the contents of popular calendars. Stars are no problem, and animals map to animals easily, but after that... The powerful figures are the angels, so that has to map to jedi swinging light sabers. The wise men... umm... I saw the Revenge of the Sith--even Yoda doesn't exactly make the grade wise-wise. C3PO maybe. Shepherds I suppose you could fill in with minor non-combatants. There are only a couple of candidates for Mary and I don't want to think about either one in the role just now. And in the manger I suspect they'd put the character meant to "bring balance to the force."

Or they could go with a 100% secular non-advent advent calendar, with characters playing domestic cameos leading up to Santa-day.

Sandra said...

I'm sot sure what they were thinking, but I can tell you I want the Yoda in the Santa suit.

Sandra said...

I don't know what they were thinking, but I know I want the Yoda.