Saturday, February 11, 2012

Will Stanton

We're going through filing cabinets, and rather than sort I started reading. One little item was a Saturday Review clipping about packaging by Will Stanton, available online as a scan here.

So once I sorted out the correspondence into a half-dozen folders, I googled for the author, and found the above link and that he and I share a similar memory problem.

On the other hand, I have the knack of remembering—or rather being unable to forget a considerable body of
assorted knowledge. I know, for example, that one of the plurals of cherub is cherubim. These are a lot of small angels a couple of rungs down the ladder from seraphim. This is a piece of information a lot of people don't have, and yet it is surprisingly hard to work into a conversation.

4 comments:

Assistant Village Idiot said...

Mind like an attic, full of interesting, charming, and likely useless bits of knowledge. I have one of those.

Cherubs and cherubim are both correct, I believe. The latter is the Hebrew plural. They mostly show up in hymns, most commonly "Holy, Holy, Holy."

james said...

Fortunately I haven't had his experience of repeating a joke the host of the party had told 15 minutes before--I remembered where I'd heard it in time.

Texan99 said...

"Cherubim and seraphim/Thronged the air" -- In the Bleak Midwinter, one of my favorites.

james said...

"Cherubim and seraphim falling down before thee, who wert and art and evermore shalt be." Holy Holy Holy used to be hymn number 1 in the book.