Sunday, March 25, 2012

Wade

I will be the first to admit that I do not understand Senegalese politics. I have not the slightest notion who would do the best job in the office, nor how to work around the entrenched powers in the land. But when somebody revises the constitution to allow extra terms, and then runs for a newly allowed third term, even a non-expert can smell a rat. Wade lost the runoff election for president, and that's a good thing. I have no idea whether the victory of Sall is going to be a good thing or not. He promised to reduce the presidential terms (good, though he can't do that alone), and to "bring in measures to reduce the price of basic foodstuffs." I wonder what that means. If some of the entrenched powers are profiteering, that task is hard but probably doable. If the prices are high because of the inflation the rich governments of the world have cultivated to reduce the value of their debts, then I don't know if he will be able to keep that promise.

1 comment:

Texan99 said...

It's never a good sign. I was very worried about Honduras for a while. We weren't very helpful.