Wednesday, February 05, 2014

The woman captured in adultery

I read John's account of the woman caught in adultery again this morning, and noticed something for the first time after more than mumble mumble years of hearing it.

Jesus was in temple courts at the time. You'd not find loose stones on those pavements; they'd have had to drag her outside someplace for execution. And the temple was the place of reconciliation and forgiveness. Her accusers just had to look around to remember sacrificing to find God's forgiveness for themselves. True, the temple was also the place for religious teaching and study, but its primary function was reconciliation and meeting with God. They unwittingly brought her to the right place.

1 comment:

Retriever said...

Lovely observation, James. Thank you. I needed that as I grouse around judging everyone, most viciously myself. perhaps I need to get myself somewhere to get reconciled instead of snarling and judging so much?