Thursday, December 31, 2015

Epitaphs

At Bible study breakfast the question came up: "What would you like your epitaph to be?"

We came up with several answers, but it occurred to me later that you might want several different ones. How would you want to be known in your family, in your church, and in the world? They aren't necessarily the same. Yes, ideally they should all revolve around service, but that's generic: what service in particular?

At home there are so many that perhaps the generic is the only way to go. "He loved them" would be a good way to be remembered. Hmm. Not sure my actions always emphasize that ...

In the church "He helped them see" describes what I want. So I'm doing sound and video--not entirely related...

In the world ... I'd like to figure out what dark matter is, but I suspect that's not going to happen. Maybe "He helped them see" works best there too.

Come to think of it, that's probably the ambition of lots of bloggers.

1 comment:

Assistant Village Idiot said...

i am morbid enough to have thought of this often. I have changed my mind a few times over the years. My wife and I will share a stone, we thing, so I have thought something must work for both of us. We have worked together on many tasks, the greatest being the adopted sons, perhaps. Our marriage class materials suggest that we have let our marriage closeness take a back seat to our common work.

But that is who we are, and likely why we chose each other. So I think the last two couplets from the folk song "The Water Is Wide" might serve. Or perhaps only the last.

(The water is wide, I cannot get o'er
Neither have I, the wings to fly.)
Give me a boat that can carry two
And both shall row, my love and I.