Friday, June 21, 2019

Sprung door

If anybody out there knows what could cause this, I'd be gratified to hear about it--and Russ Darrow repair might be too.

At the end of an hour-long trip with grandkids, a manual(*) sliding door on a 2015 Dodge Caravan wouldn't open. I wasn't present for the festivities, but when I inspected it the top roller, attached to the front of the door on a 3" not-very-bendable bar, was no longer in the channel attached to the body. As far as I could see the middle roller was in its slot, and the bottom was attached just fine.

I could slide the door back about an inch. The roller bar was bolted tightly to the door, and I couldn't get it to flex significantly.

Our regular repair firm was too busy, so we took it to the dealer. They unbolted the bar and re-assembled the door, and found no obvious reason why the roller would have come out--no damage, clogging--nothing.

OK, all's well--except that I've no idea whether the problem will recur.

Did they miss something when inspecting the middle roller assembly? Has anybody else had this problem?

(*) The van we bought before had power sliding doors, which are nice until they aren't and a short in the wire harness drains the battery every night. Fixed by pulling the fuses.

No comments: