Wednesday, October 18, 2023

"If that's real, I want one"

After a fall-colors visit to Horicon(*) and Kettle Moraine we went to Hamburger Haus in Campbellsport for burgers and icecream. For desert I had their single cone: three stacked large scoops of vanilla sticking 5" above a waffle cone (about a pint's worth). The toddler in a family coming a bit later watched me receive what must have looked like the archtype of icecream cones, and the wide-eyed expression on his face was wonderful as he inarticulately but whole-heartedly requested his own. I don't think he'd ever seen one that large before.

It's an outdoor restaurant, and they close for the season this Sunday. The cone pictured at the link is their "baby cone."

(*) Horicon is more famous for the birds: sandhills, geese, a cormorant, a heron, grebes, swans, pelicans, and gadwells today.

3 comments:

Thomas Doubting said...

I was completely confused by "Horicon." What kind of convention is that? I asked.

Sounds like a good trip!

james said...

It was a good trip.

Perhaps the full name "Horicon Marsh Wildlife Area" clarifies--or perhaps it reinforces our initial perception.

Thomas Doubting said...

Yes, my very first impression was confusion, but the full name and description clarified it. It was kind of humorous for a moment.