Sunday, November 12, 2023

Parody of a parody?

We went to a high school performance of Game of Tiaras last night. It is Game of Thrones acted out by nominal Disney princesses with a bit of King Lear to touch off and motivate the action. I hadn't seen half the princess movies (e.g. Frozen), and seen neither the Game of Thrones series nor Martin's novels, so I had to guess at most of the references. But, apropos AVI's note on Stationary Bandits, what I know of the Thrones plotline suggests that it is a non-comic parody of history, exaggerating the violence and backstabbing to the point where I'd think underlings would be reluctant to give the last full measure of devotion. Can somebody who has seen it tell me if I'm wrong?

2 comments:

Assistant Village Idiot said...

I have also not seen Game of Thrones, but from what I have seen described, it is correct in spirit in describing Romania in the 14th C. My understanding of Anglo-Saxon 9th C is about the same. There was no devotion in many, but a recognition that temporary but intense loyalty was sometimes necessary because it was all a balancing act among multiple factions.

Until the wind changed, and for your own safety you had to pick another side. I imagine it was nice to have the freedom to choose where you would go, but often all choices were uncertain and dangerous.

Korora said...

I gather that means so much backstabbing that Dante would have... absolute zero sympathy for the characters? ;รพ