Tuesday, October 06, 2026

Nobel winner

A congratulations to Professor Halzen for his inspiration and leadership in creating the IceCube experiment!

He's a really knowledgeable and sharp man -- knows everybody in the field, it seems, and keeps track of all that's going on.

When I first heard of the plan to bury phototubes in ice, back when they were first testing the idea (AMANDA), I thought it wouldn't work. I was wrong; he was right.

FWIW, the IceCube web site is straining under the unexpected load: one collaborator said "they should really inform the sys-admins of a given experiment a few days before".

Also, the BBC story mentions about neutrinos that "The Sun produces vast numbers of them: every second, billions pass harmlessly through an area the size of your fingernail." That's perfectly true. However, they interact much more frequently when they are higher energy--and the high energy neutrinos are the ones IceCube looks for.

No comments: