Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Celebrating

I've never been to the Mardi Gras celebration in New Orleans--and from the pictures I don't think I'd enjoy it that much. not terribly fond of crowds, don't go for alcohol But the food is a different matter. Red beans and rice, etouffe yikes goes the blood sugar...

When I was a kid beignets were a rare Sunday treat. They require a fair bit of minding if you want to make enough for everybody. (I've never quite figured out how to get them to puff up hollow reliably--that was always great for scooping up extra powered sugar.)

Last night I figured we should do something for Mardi Gras for a change. I now know that a gas burner works very much better than an electric burner for cooking beignets, that you have to roll and cut very quickly to keep up with your frying, and that you and everything else will wind up thoroughly garnished with powered sugar. I'm still not sure how it got in the bedroom rug.

No comments: