Friday, July 01, 2005

Bumper Crop

Have an embarassment of riches in my lettuce patch. James and #2 son very carefully planted neat rows of lettuce while I was out of town. Two weeks later, when I planted, I spilled the seeds. This morning I harvested about two bushels of baby lettuce, and there are another 3 or 4 dozen heads out there. So far, I have delivered eight bags of lettuce to the neighbors this morning, with three more bags waiting for other neighbors to get home from work tonight.

This year we signed up for produce boxes from a local organic farm. It's definitely pot luck: you get a share of whatever's ripe. So in yesterday's box, I found a kohlrabi the size of a Chicago softball, chard, spinach, dill, more lettuce, strawberries, and squash blossoms, among other things.

So now I need recipes for Kohlrabi and for squash blossoms! Off to Google I go.

Mrs. James

No comments: