Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Pirates of Penzance

Eldest Son and I ushered for the Sunday matinee performance. Aside from the orchestra curtain coming loose (we safety-pinned it back), there were no problems. Great singing, staging, creative new verse for "I am the very model of a modern major-general" (and that's not easy to do)--I'm glad they worked in an extra Thursday performance.

And it seems there's always something I see that I'd missed before:

When Frederic was a little lad
he proved so brave and daring,
His father thought he'd 'prentice him
to some career seafaring.

I was, alas! his nurs'rymaid,
and so it fell to my lot
To take and bind the promising boy
apprentice to a pilot --
But a pilot is the fellow who guides ships into harbor: a job for a good cautious fellow, not "brave and daring." I'd not noticed that before.

No comments: