Sunday, August 25, 2013

Power in ordinary people

Youngest Daughter, having read a number of James Bond one-liners, decided to watch a few of the movies. All at once. (School starts tomorrow. No, I was at work and didn't watch any.)

One of the things that makes Bond interesting is watching a lone man run through a deadly puzzle, squeaking through where he must and turning his enemies' weapons against them where he can, and leaving destruction behind. The destruction is needed to stop worse destruction, so he's one of the good guys(*), but we're fascinated see how much influence a single man can have without being bitten by a radioactive spider or becoming a monster. (Wish fulfillment: I'm not Superman, but maybe I could be . . . well, with some training . . . )

There are other ways of having influence too, though I don't think they'll make a lucrative series of movies on her. I remember reading her song when I was young and thinking it too stupid for words. I read the whole poem as an adult and have liked it ever since. (**) In a world of disasters, just a distant touch-and-go and people changed.

Amelie was a little like that, but with Amelie planning her changes (not always with good results). Unfortunately most of the personal problems I know about aren't as easily tweaked--so much for wish fulfillment.

I wonder how extensive an ordinary person's influence actually runs. Maybe more than they expect, and less than they fantasize.


(*) and Bond has good taste, which is a stand-in for being a "good guy."


(**) You probably know a few people this describes:

"... used that smile,
That hateful smirk of boundless self-conceit
Which seems to take possession of this world
And make of God their tame confederate.
Purveyor to their appetites . . . you know ! "

1 comment:

Assistant Village Idiot said...

This reminds me of a post I was going to write a month ago. Thanks.