Monday, August 19, 2013

Using money

I know that 19 times out of 20 money I give to one of the homeless guys (almost all men), will promptly be wasted on drugs, alcohol, smokes by the cigarette--wasted at best, harmful most of the time.

That by itself isn't obviously such a great reason not to give--if I don't, will I spend it on a fattening lunch or book I won't get around to reading? Wasted either way, possibly damaging either way.(*)

Encouraging the homeless to hang around and beg isn't good for them or the rest of us, and turning charity into an anonymous financial transaction shrivels it. So there's that. But there they are, and there's Jesus strong words...

I used to give McD tickets (they're not on the Square anymore)--still kind of anonymous, and maybe even a little insulting, but less harmful. Though McD's might have their own ideas about customers who sit in a booth all day.

The one thing I have trouble prying loose is time.

(*)Actually, reviewing the receipt ledger suggests that most of the cash goes to groceries and gasoline.

No comments: