Tuesday, April 09, 2019

Opportunities for fraud

New ballot found in McFarland village president race decided by one vote.
McFarland Village staff found the unopened absentee ballot Monday morning in a bin used to store and transfer absentee ballots in last week's election and subsequent recount, Village Administrator Matthew Schuenke said.

"It was found sealed within an envelope used for absentee voting and it is not open," he said. "The contents are presently unknown, but it does appear to contain a ballot."

No. Just no. There is no clear chain of possession. Absentee ballots in general have that problem and in my not-so-humble judgment should not be widely encouraged. But this is just crazy.

1 comment:

Assistant Village Idiot said...

My first thought was "Oh, how great that they got to preserve this person's vote," but your caution instantly convinced me. The possibility of fraud is enormous. I almost voted absentee this year because I had to be face down after my eye surgery and could not get to the polls. Yet at the last minute, I could.

It absolutely should be the exception. We should not be encouraging anything but showing up at your NEARBY polling station, waiting in line with your fellow citizens, showing your identification and chatting with Cathy or Jim, and carefully filling in ovals.