Thursday, December 19, 2019

Gratitude

In Lord of Light Zelazny has Yama say "None sing hymns to breath. But, oh to be without it!"

A spot of pneumonia can cure that bit of ingratitude, at least for a while.

Looking at the scrapes on the car reminds me that we take healing for granted. A scratch in the paint will be there until it rusts through, but you expect a scratch on your arm to be gone in a few days. (more days as you get older, unfortunately) That's a huge gift--most injuries are temporary. Thank God.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You don't fix the dings on your car? OK. Any religion that meditates has a pretty serious focus on breathing as its integral to your consciousness.

I have had mild asthma most of my life. Its a bit worse as I age but nothing serious. Salbutamol may be my favourite drug, although I do love THC. ;)

james said...

Of course I fix things--but it is never quite the same.

Anonymous said...

I did repairs on truck cabs for quite a while, they are all fibreglass, and I had built boats and knew a bit about body work. My demo that the truck was fixed was beating the area with a 2x4 to show that it was better than new. ;)

Properly done, a scratch fix is permanent and will never be a problem.